Frugal Countdown to Christmas...Day 7...Christmas Crack Toffee
This recipe from ' I Heart Naptime' is truely amazing!!!! So quick and easy and absolutely delicious. Love that I stumbled across this recipe!! You really should try it. Here's how to make it....
45 saltine crackers
228g butter, cubed
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups chocolate melts
1/2 to 1 cup of Christmas sprinkles/ M&M's/chopped nuts
1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C.
2. Line a large baking dish with baking paper. Then line the pan with saltine crackers.
3. Place the butter and sugar in a medium sized pot over low- medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.
4. Once it's nice and bubbly, remove pan from heat and pour evenly over saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife... however it doesn't have to be perfect. Try to move fast during this part so the toffee doesn't harden.
5. Place pan in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
6. Place the chocolate melts in a microwave safe dish and place in microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir. If the chocolate is not completely melted, place in microwave for another 20 seconds.
7. Remove the baking dish from the oven. Spread the melted chocolate over the toffee and spread evenly with a spatula.
8. Sprinkle the Christmas sprinkles / M&M's / nuts on top and then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
9. Once chocolate has hardened, break pieces off and serve.
It will stay fresh for 1 - 2 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.
(Recipe adapted slightly from http://www.iheartnaptime.net/christmas-crack/)