Monday 14 September 2015

Re-Grouting!

There are so many cheap things that you can do to give your house a little face lift. We moved into our house a year ago, when it was 16 years old and it was definitely showing it's age. The grout in the kitchen and bathrooms are one of these. No matter how clean you keep your grout, after years of wear, it starts to look a little dark & dirty. There are a few ways that you can give your grout a makeover. A lot of people paint it to give it a fresh new look. I decided to go with another way and grout over the top of the existing grout. I had previously grouted some tiles around the fire in our old house and it is super easy. You can either go with the same colour that you have or choose a different colour. I’m not exactly sure what colour the original grout was, but I’m guessing it was possibly white in the kitchen and dark grey in the Ensuite. We decided to go with a light grey.
You can now purchase pre mixed grout in a variety of colours. I bought this bottle at Bunnings for $10.


here is how to use it...First, I would suggest wearing gloves. I didn’t and wore some skin off my fingers...not a nice feeling! Before starting, give the grout a good scrub and sweep/vacuum the area, so that it is as clean as possible. Then squeeze the grout along the already existing grout lines and smooth out with your finger. When the grout is starting to dry, wipe away any excess grout from the tiles. Once it has dried you have a great new clean line.
Here is how it looks on our ensuite floor 

Before


 After


 These are the tiles of our kitchen splashback. I don't have a great before photo, but if you look at the background of the grout bottle photo, you can see a little of how gross it was. 
And this is the after. 


I love how fresh and clean it looks. A big difference for $10!

More Frugal projects coming soon.

Kylie xx

2 comments: