Monday 21 September 2015

Rainbow Cake

A few weeks ago we had a family get together for Miss 8's birthday. She requested a Rainbow cake. Now I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with birthday cakes. I have made quite a few over the years and I've had some that turned out ok and some more interesting one's. Unfortunately (fortunately!), I don't have photo's to show you. I found this cake on Pinterest and Miss 8 loved it!

                                 

We both fell in Love instantly. 
After falling in love with it, the 1st thing that I noticed was that it was made with fondant icing. I've never used fondant icing, but here's the thing, although I think it looks great, It just doesn't have the same amazing taste that butter cream icing has. Mmmm mmm butter cream!! I knew that I wouldn't be able to roll butter cream icing, so just decided to wing it and see how it turned out. 

For the general instructions on how to make the cake, I followed the recipe and the photos from this site  -http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/rainbow-pinata-cake/5795d355-a6a5-4030-
b414-235fe9b750bb?nicam4=SocialMedia&nichn4=Pinterest&niseg4=Tablespoon&nicreatID4=Post

However, here is what I did differently:

*I used 2 butter packet cake mixes for the cakes, just making them up as per their instructions on the packet. I just used the cheapest ones from the supermarket, which cost 80cents each. 

*I filled the inside of the cake with M&M's only.

*I used butter cream icing both for sticking the layers together and for the decorating. 
I made up 4 batches at once with this recipe:
125g Butter
1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
1 Tbls milk
Leave the butter to soften at room temperature, then beat together with the icing sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk, until smooth and light in colour.

Once made up, take half of the icing mixture and colour it sky blue. Then cover the entire cake in this colour. Once covered, smooth over with a knife. If the icing sticks to the knife, dip it in a glass of boiling water and continue the process until the cake is all smooth. 

This picture is before the smoothing out process.

Next, divide the remaining icing into 5 separate bowls, colouring each bowl of icing with the desired colour. I used red, yellow, pink, green & purple.
Next, take a piping bag with your desired piping nozzle attached. Fill with red icing and starting from the bottom left hand corner, slowly sqeeze dots of icing onto the cake. Repeat the process until you have followed the top of the rainbow down to the bottom right corner. Follow up with a 2nd line. 
Repeat the process with the leftover colours, as seen in this picture, until you have finished.



You can use 1 piping bag and clean it out in between each colour. Or do what I did, which was use disposable piping bags (that I purchased in bulk for dirt cheap off ebay) and just clean & use the same piping nozzle for each colour.s
I just used a cake board that I already had and stuck some marshmellows around the edge to form cloud. 
I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but I was really happy with it. And most importantly Miss 8 loved it! 

Kylie xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kylie,
    This isn't related to this specific post although the cake is super cute!
    I am reaching out to Australians that blog about ways to make and save money as I have a private group for us and some exciting collaborative projects. I own a few finance sites and have connected with some great bloggers, so created the group for us to collaborate, share ideas and promote each other. Can you get in touch if you are interested please? Thank you

    ReplyDelete