Monday 15 February 2016

DIY Chalk Paint

If you don't already know this little cheap trick than you may be very excited by this!
I have been super keen to try chalk paint for ages but in all honesty I was not keen about the price for a little tub. Not to mention that you have to buy a new tub for every different colour that you want to work with. When I saw this little trick, I was super stoked and hoped that it would in fact work. Well low and behold it did. DIY chalk paint...Here's the recipe...

Ingredients
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Plaster of Paris 
1 1/2 Tablespoons of Cool water
1 Cup of paint

Instructions
Mix the paster of paris and water together and then pour it into 1 cup of paint and stir until fully combined. 

That is it...seriously how easy is that!!!

One 2.5Kg bag of Plaster of Paris cost me $8.09 from Bunnings and I used a cheap $2 tube of paint from Spotlight. So for $10.09 I made the chalk paint that I wanted, plus i still have most of the bag of plaster left! I plan on using it to paint the bottom of my dining table. And the great thing is I can use it in whatever colour I want! You may have guessed by now that I was pretty excited about stumbling across this recipe!




 Here is what I painted...

I had this home sign sitting around that I was dying to give a makeover
Before...

After...


This Chalkboard used to be my Grandma's. It was originally a wooden calender board. So she would hang her calender inside it. Because of this, there are some thumb tac marks in the blackboard section, but I don't notice them when there is something written on the board. I had painted the chalkboard paint last year and had painted the frame a dark turquoise but I had never really loved it . No before photo's sorry. And I haven't cleaned the board very well, but you get the gist. I only did 2 coats of paint as I liked that you could slightly see the turquoise coming through which gave it a weathered look.

 




I'm so happy with how they both turned out! I love the colour and this cheap DIY recipe!

Kylie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment